Skip to content
Mercury is the closest planet to the sun, here are some facts about Mercury.
- Its small and fast, its diameter is 3031.67 miles wide and its year is 88 days.
- It name comes from the roman messenger, Mercury because its so fast.
- A day on Mercury is 176 Earth days.
- Mercury is the second densest planet , the reason its so dense is because it mostly made of heavy metal . Earth is the densest planet .
- Mercury has wrinkles because its iron core is cooled and moved around its surface wrinkled , the actual name is Lobate Scarps. The Lobate Scarps can be a mile thick and 100 miles wide
- Mercury may have a molten core most small planets cores are cooled due to the size of the core being smaller . Mercury’s core may be still molten because it is about 42% of the planet .
- Mercury is the second hottest planet even though it is the closest planet to the sun because venus has verry thick clouds.
- Mercury sorta has an atmosphere , also 38% of the gravity on earth .Not enough to keep a complete atmosphere but an bit of an atmosphere .
- Mercury has the most craters due to its inability to heal itself witch most planets have the ability because wind or something else.